Triple Pepper Steak Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 5 min/batch
- 2 boneless beef top loin steaks (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) ciabatta bread
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute sliced onion, mushrooms and poblano pepper in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sliced steak.
- In a small saucepan, saute chopped onion in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the cream, chipotle, cumin and bouillon; cook and stir until thickened.
- Cut ciabatta in half horizontally, then cut into four equal portions. Place cheese on bottom bread slices; top with steak mixture, chipotle cream sauce and remaining bread. Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 768 calories, 37g fat (20g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 1013mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 43g protein.
Sep 3, 2019
Delicious pepper taste pairs perfectly with caramelized onions. Yum! And to the reviewer who poses the question “what is LEFTOVER steak?” May I submit “it’s the non-eaten portion of meat left on the plates of non-glutinous individuals.”
Mar 12, 2019
What in the world is LEFT OVER steaK ?????