Pea Pod Carrot Medley
We grow pea pods, and I wanted to use them in something other than stir-fries. This fit the bill! I've carried it to church potlucks and received compliments on its pretty orange glaze and fresh taste. —Josie Smith, Winamac, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place carrots and water to cover in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Add peas; simmer, covered, until peas are crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Drain and remove vegetables from pan; set aside.
- In same pan, mix remaining ingredients until cornstarch is dissolved; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Add vegetables; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 119 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 535mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Pea Pod Carrot Medley in Light & Tasty December/January 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.