- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 package (2 pounds) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blue and red food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in the water, salt and vanilla until smooth. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup frosting and blue food coloring. In another bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups frosting and red food coloring. Fill pastry or plastic bag with 1/4 cup white frosting; cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and set aside.
- Frost cake top and sides with remaining white frosting. With blue frosting, frost a 3-in. section in the upper left corner of the cake. Pipe white stars over blue frosting. Fill another pastry or plastic bag with red frosting; cut a large hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe stripes across top of cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forPatriotic Cake
"I have to say, this is an amazing recipe. it tastes amazing, is easy to make, and is sure to please the crowd."
"Basically this recipe is how to decorate a cake in a patriotic way. The rest of it is up to you! I decided to make it a bit of a poke cake for the 4th by adding some red and blue in the batter, so it turns out red white and blue on the inside too! I would recommend using your favorite cake recipe (or box) and then frosting it this way."
"Makes a wonderful Patriotic presentation to any cook-out or bbq..especially nice to serve when your soldier is returning (or deploying).You can use any flavor cake (we used chocolate). Will make again this weekend! Thanks Taste of Home,for using this site to make donations. God Bless our service men & women."