Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- Ice cubes
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer cake to a covered cake board. Using a small knife, cut out a 5x4-in. rectangle (1/2 in. deep) in the top left corner of cake, leaving a 1/2-in. border along edges of cake. For red stripes, cut out 1/2-in. wide rows (1/2 in. deep), leaving a 1/2-in. border. Using a fork, carefully remove cut-out cake pieces.
- In a small bowl, dissolve berry blue gelatin in 3/4 cup boiling water. Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough ice cubes to measure 1-1/4 cups. Stir into gelatin until slightly thickened. Scoop out and discard any remaining ice cubes. Repeat, making strawberry gelatin.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1 cup strawberry gelatin. In another bowl, combine blueberries and 1 cup blue gelatin. Refrigerate 20 minutes or just until soft-set. (Save remaining gelatin for another use.)
- Stir gelatin mixtures. Slowly pour blueberry mixture into rectangle; spoon strawberry mixture into stripes.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Add marshmallow creme; beat well until light and fluffy. Spread 1 cup over sides and top edge of cake. Refrigerate remaining frosting 20 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill the bag with remaining frosting. Pipe frosting in between rows of strawberry gelatin and around edges of cake. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until gelatin is set.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 438 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 363mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 26, 2015
Made this cake last July 4th. Everyone loved it. It was stunning. Will make this year after year.
Oct 29, 2013
Aug 8, 2013
this is easy to make, tote around and everyone loves it.
Jun 30, 2012
Made this last 4th of July and my family LOVED IT!! Will definitely be making it again this year!!!
Jun 25, 2012
jumpin'jac thank you for your suggestion it turned out perfect and we got extra stawberries.
Jul 10, 2011
Made it for our son's birthday and our granddaughter's birthday (the same day 7/2). Agree it was a lot of work but was very fun to do as a one time project and a nice surprise for the for our get together. (The white 'piped' stars did not hold their shape, must have been to thin or the day must have been too hot)
Jul 6, 2011
This cake is stunningly beautiful, and I love that Taste of Home is making the donations to USO. But I must say, the flavor of the cake is only so-so and the texture a little heavy. Like others, I did not like the artificial flavor of the Jello. I used as little of it as possible, just enough to hold the fruit together and add some color. If I made again, I might try using blueberry and strawberry jelly instead for a more natural flavor, or just use the fruit alone.
Jul 5, 2011
Great idea. In a million years I couldn't have come up with such a cool idea!
Jul 4, 2011
This was really impressive at our party today! Yes...a little work but well worth it! The cake tasted great and the frosting turned out perfect!
Jul 4, 2011
This is a fun dessert to make for a special day, like Independence Day! Takes some time, but worth the effort!~ Theresa