Yellow Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups frosting of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 576 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 27, 2018
My 14 year old son actually made this cake by himself for a school project. He took it into his class to enjoy and it was devoured. I managed to get a taste and it's moist and delicious.
Jan 4, 2018
Oct 14, 2017
This is my go-to cake recipe. Nothing fancy, but it uses basic ingredients that I always have in hand and it comes out perfect every time. I also use it for 24 cupcakes. I use home made buttercream frosting...this recipe is my birthday cake staple!
Nov 8, 2015
Perfect cake. Good crumb and density. For those who have difficulty with the recipe, don't neglect to beat the butter, sugar and eggs *really * well before stirring the dry ingredients in. Once you add flour, take care not to overwork the batter.
Apr 3, 2015
The cake was amazing, very moist like it says if you're looking for a sweet cake this is it
Nov 3, 2014
This cake is good. I have used it as a plain frosted cake, and I have made it into a poke cake. I will keep using this recipe unless I find something better.
Apr 2, 2014
I wanted a good, basic layer cake recipe and this one served me well. I actually added some mini chocolate chips to the batter; I saved out a tablespoon of the flour and mixed it with the chips before folding them in at the very end of mixing and this helped them stay evenly dispersed in the finished cake. To make sure that the cake came out of the pan, I lined the bottom of the pans with parchment paper and generously greased and floured the pan sides and parchment paper......it worked!
Feb 2, 2014
I've made a lot of cakes and this cake is disappointing. Not really any yellow color and not much flavor. It's crumbly and the whole outer edge has a crust much like an angel food cake has. It wouldn't release from the pan at all. My 12 year old son was pretty upset with his first attempt at a cake.
Dec 9, 2013
this is an awesome recipe
Jul 24, 2013
I used this recipe to make cupcakes, baked for 18 minutes. It came out well, better than a boxed mix but nothing spectacular. Since it's not too sweet it's a good base for sweet or elaborate frostings.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.