Patriotic Cookie & Cream Cupcakes
Bring on the red, white and blue with these creative cupcakes, perfect for the Fourth of July, Memorial Day or any favorite occasion. With some delicious and colorful frosting and a careful arrangement, your sweet display will be a patriotic nod to our great American flag. —Rebecca Wetherbee, Marion, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon clear or regular vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Blue and red paste food coloring
- Star sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until crumbly. Add 1 egg white at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cookie crumbs.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add enough milk to make a stiff frosting. Remove 1 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with blue food coloring. Divide remaining frosting in half; tint one portion red and leave remaining portion plain.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #1M star pastry tip. Fill bag with plain frosting; pipe over 9 cupcakes. With red frosting, pipe 9 more cupcakes. Pipe remaining cupcakes blue; top with sprinkles. Arrange cupcakes on a large platter, forming a flag.