This pasta is great for a big gathering. It works well as a starter dish or as a main dish for a smaller group. One peeled, diced carrot may be used in place of the sugar for a milder, sweeter and healthier substitute.—Kathryn White, Pinehurst, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute carrot and anchovy fillets in oil until carrot is tender. Stir in the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, capers, oregano, thyme, fennel and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and basil to sauce mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Pasta Puttanesca with Roasted Garlic and Fennel Seeds in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010