Ozark Mountain Berry Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon if desired, salt and water until smooth; add the blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Gently fold the strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and lemon juice into the blueberry mixture. Pour into pastry; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 406 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 20, 2019
I've been baking pies for forty years and this is the best recipe I've ever come across. It is requested by friends and family for every gathering. My one alteration is to use maybe an eighth of a cup of cornstarch instead of a fourth--it makes for a messy pie, but so much juicier and less jelly-like. (I'm sure there's a happy medium--I just haven't found it yet!). Also, I once found myself with no strawberries or raspberries, so I threw in some fresh peaches. Stone fruits and berries are always a good mix. Note: fresh berries can be expensive, but I've tried making this recipe with frozen and they just aren't the same. If you're going to go to the trouble of making a pie, and if you can afford it, get fresh berries.
Jun 2, 2019
I first found this recipe in the ‘How to cook almost anything” and had never baked a berry pie. If was fantastic. Turns out every time and my family loves it.
Jun 28, 2018
made this and it is very good love it
Jul 22, 2016
I always use Minute Tapicoca making this and other fruit pies. Makes a lot better fruit pies!
May 7, 2016
I've made this a couple times using fresh berries, always delicious! I see some people have used frozen berries with success. Do you defrost the berries first or add them to the blueberry mixture still frozen?
Jul 16, 2015
I made this pie last night for my husband and grandkids. It came out perfect and everyone devoured it. I used fresh berries, followed the recipe as written and it set up perfectly. I will definitely make another, as there were NO leftovers. Awesome flavor and texture. Thanks so much for this delicious recipe.
Jul 13, 2015
This is a similar recipe to my "South Mountain Berry Pie" - it uses the same variety and amounts of berries. I have entered the pie several times in our local fair and have won champion on it each time. It is delicious!
May 26, 2015
Thanks, Elaine Moody. I love it. I used frozen berries so I added a little more corn starch and a little more sugar. I was afraid of the oven temp of 300 but it brown beautifully.
May 4, 2015
This is quite possibly one of the most delicious pies! LOVE!
Jan 25, 2013
I've tried several berry pies and this one is definitely a winner