Overnight Peach Oatmeal
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk or vanilla almond milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 medium peaches, sliced or 3 cups frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed
- Optional toppings: Sliced almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon and additional peaches
- In a well-greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 6 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until oats are tender, 7-8 hours. Stir in peaches just before serving.
- Pressure cooker option: Decrease water to 3 cups. Add to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker coated with cooking spray. Stir in oats, soy milk, brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 4 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Stir in peaches just before serving. Oatmeal will thicken upon standing. If desired, top with optional toppings.
Editor's NoteSteel-cut oats are also known as Scotch oats or Irish oatmeal.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 163 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Jul 10, 2019
Most mornings start off with a heaping bowl of hot steel oats. Since I am the only one eating it, the leftovers allow me to have 4 additional breakfast. I just warm a bowl in the microwave. I do add cinnamon as I love the taste of oats and cinnamon.