Honey-Oat Granola Bars
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, peanuts, chocolate chips and sunflower kernels. Stir in butter, honey and vanilla until combined (mixture will be crumbly). Press into a greased parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack; cut into squares. Cool completely before removing from pan. Freeze option: Wrap each cooled bar in plastic; freeze until firm. To use, thaw bar at room temperature or, if desired, unwrap and place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 15-20 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 167 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2015
Anything with oats and honey in the recipe gets my attention, so I had to try these. Good job. Please fix the recipe, though. These two sentences don't make sense together: "Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack; cut into squares. Cool completely before removing from pan."
Apr 11, 2012
I made this with my daughter and am very happy with the finished product. She enjoyed helping me in the kitchen. I omitted the nuts and the sunflower kernels because I didn't have any on hand. It is a bit sweet for my taste, but my kids approve. I baked for 20 minutes and cooled in the freezer. I think next time I will experiment with less brown sugar and other ingredients, such as dried fruit. Overall, great recipe and I will be making it again.
Sep 1, 2011
Absolutely delicious. They came out perfectly!
Sep 23, 2009
When I tried these, they did not hold together. Maybe they did not cook long enough? It tasted good and made a good ice cream topping but I won't try them again.
Sep 10, 2009
I tried this, and thought it needed more cooking time, but I was wrong. Mine were dry and had nothing to do with the recipe. I will try it again and this time follow the directions to a tee.
Apr 17, 2009
These are another winner for my family - we love these granola bars!