Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes with Pancetta
Classic American mashed potatoes take a trip to Italy with the flavors of olive oil, garlic, and pancetta. —Bryan Kennedy, Kaneohe, Hawaii
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 slices pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook pancetta in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until crisp. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Mash potatoes with remaining oil. Stir in the parsley, pancetta mixture, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 206 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes with Pancetta, Garlic, and Parsley in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012