Not Your Mama’s Seven-Layer Bars
The addition of dulce de leche makes this a decadent new take on traditional seven-layer bars. You can cut this recipe in half and make it in an 8x8-in. pan. —Andrea Barlow, Hot Springs, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups crisp brown rice cereal
- 1 can (13.4 ounces) dulce de leche
- 6 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse cookies in food processor until finely chopped. Combine crumbs and melted butter; press onto bottom of greased, foil-lined 13x9-in. baking pan. Spread coconut over crust; sprinkle with crisp rice cereal.
- Combine dulce de leche and water until smooth. Pour over cereal. Sprinkle pecans over dulce de leche; press down lightly.
- Bake until edges are set but center is still soft, about 30 minutes. (Do not overbake.) Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle with sea salt. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 24 squares.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Nestle La Lechera dulce de leche; look for it in the international foods section. If using Eagle Brand dulce de leche (caramel flavored sauce), thicken according to package directions before using.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 228 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Not Your Momma's 7-Layer Bars in Taste of Home February/March 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.