Not Your Mama’s Seven-Layer Bars
The addition of dulce de leche makes this a decadent new take on traditional seven-layer bars. You can cut this recipe in half and make it in an 8x8-in. pan. —Andrea Barlow, Hot Springs, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups crisp brown rice cereal
- 1 can (13.4 ounces) dulce de leche
- 6 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse cookies in food processor until finely chopped. Combine crumbs and melted butter; press onto bottom of greased, foil-lined 13x9-in. baking pan. Spread coconut over crust; sprinkle with crisp rice cereal.
- Combine dulce de leche and water until smooth. Pour over cereal. Sprinkle pecans over dulce de leche; press down lightly.
- Bake until edges are set but center is still soft, about 30 minutes. (Do not overbake.) Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle with sea salt. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into 24 squares.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Nestle La Lechera dulce de leche; look for it in the international foods section. If using Eagle Brand dulce de leche (caramel flavored sauce), thicken according to package directions before using.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 228 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.