Even if you can't bake, you can still impress guests with this make-ahead dessert from Diane Thompson, Nutrioso, Arizona. "Assemble it when you have time to let the layers freeze," she suggests. "Then store it in the freezer until you're ready to show off the colorful results."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 32 squares)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream, softened
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9x5-in. loaf pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter; press one fourth of the mixture into the pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Spread vanilla ice cream over crumbs. Sprinkle with another fourth of crumbs; press down gently. Freeze for 45-60 minutes or until firm.
- Spread with chocolate ice cream. Sprinkle with another fourth of the crumbs; press down gently. Freeze until firm. Spread with the strawberry ice cream, then top with the remaining crumbs (pan will be very full). Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Using the foil, lift cake from pan; discard foil. Cut cake with a serrated knife.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 352 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Seven-Layer Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.