Nena’s Papas Rellenas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives with pimientos
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, olives, raisins, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and paprika; heat through.
- Drain potatoes; mash with garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper. Shape 2 tablespoons potatoes into a patty; place a heaping tablespoonful of filling in the center. Shape potatoes around filling, forming a ball. Repeat.
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip potato balls in the eggs, then roll in bread crumbs. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 224 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2018
Wonderful and delicious Cuban flavor in a tiny, deep-fried shepherd's pie. Had to add 1/2 cup flour to the taters to make them easier to shape, and I always end up with a lot of leftover picadillo - which is great, because then I have an easy shortcut when I make empanadas! This alone makes all the work worthwhile.
Jun 23, 2017
Jun 7, 2011
This recipe was very good and easy to make just a little time consuming. The only thing I would do is add a little more spice, I'm going to have to play around with it by maybe adding more paprika or a jalapeno pepper. But overall a big hit!!
May 25, 2011
it was easy to make and tasted great; all it needs is a good salsa reciepe to go with it
May 8, 2011
I loved the meat filling on these, but had some trouble shaping the balls and then getting them to hold together in the fryer. I would probably use this meat filling recipe but put it in empanadas instead.
Feb 4, 2011
The recipe is very percise and my husband loved it. I used plastic wrap to flatten the mashed potato and to roll it arount the meat.
Jan 26, 2011
My mom made these for us while growing up, I made them for my family. They are great if served as an appetizer or main dish...