Nana’s Italian Roulade
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 jars (24 ounces each) meatless pasta sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; microwave on high 3-5 minutes or until partially cooked but not crisp. In a small bowl, mix garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Starting at a long side, cut steak horizontally in half to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak flat; Pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Spread garlic mixture over steak; sprinkle with cheese. Layer with eggs and bacon to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with parsley. Starting with a long side of the steak, roll up jelly-roll style (along the grain); tie at 1-1/2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roulade on all sides. Pour pasta sauce over top. Bake, covered, 1-1/2-1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roulade from pot; remove string and cut into slices. Serve with sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 3/4 cup sauce (calculated without spaghetti): 331 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 1491mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Dec 30, 2018
Good recipe, but this is called Bracciole - not rouladen. Traditionally does include a hard cooked egg in the filling.
May 7, 2015
Agree with matteliz.
Feb 26, 2015
This is a definite keeper in this household! I just cut down the spaghetti sauce to 1-1 12 jars and didn't include the boiled egg, since my daughter is allergic to eggs. My husband and I had that on the side, and just mixed it in with our portions.
Feb 14, 2015
Delicious! My children (and husband) gobbled it right down for Valentine's Day. I gave it 4 stars because it takes some time to make. And you have such a huge pot of tomato sauce left over.
Feb 8, 2015
Really awesome recipe. Like beef braciole. I liked the eggs and bacon here, they added just enough flavor to make this different but didn't overpower the tender beef.