Nana’s Italian Roulade
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 jars (24 ounces each) meatless pasta sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; microwave on high 3-5 minutes or until partially cooked but not crisp. In a small bowl, mix garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Starting at one long side, cut steak horizontally in half to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open steak flat; cover with plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; remove plastic.
- Spread garlic mixture over steak; sprinkle with cheese. Layer with eggs and bacon to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with parsley. Starting with a long side of the steak, roll up jelly-roll style (along the grain); tie at 1-1/2-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roulade on all sides. Pour pasta sauce over top. Bake, covered, 1-1/2-1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roulade from pot; remove string and cut into slices. Serve with sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 3/4 cup sauce (calculated without spaghetti): 331 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 1491mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2018
Good recipe, but this is called Bracciole - not rouladen. Traditionally does include a hard cooked egg in the filling.
May 7, 2015
Agree with matteliz.
Feb 26, 2015
This is a definite keeper in this household! I just cut down the spaghetti sauce to 1-1 12 jars and didn't include the boiled egg, since my daughter is allergic to eggs. My husband and I had that on the side, and just mixed it in with our portions.
Feb 14, 2015
Delicious! My children (and husband) gobbled it right down for Valentine's Day. I gave it 4 stars because it takes some time to make. And you have such a huge pot of tomato sauce left over.
Feb 8, 2015
Really awesome recipe. Like beef braciole. I liked the eggs and bacon here, they added just enough flavor to make this different but didn't overpower the tender beef.