Grandma Schwartz’s Rouladen
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 6 dill pickle spears
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings.
- Meanwhile, cut steak into six serving-size pieces; pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread tops with mustard. Top each with two carrot pieces and one pickle spear; sprinkle with onion. Roll up each from a short side and secure with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Place roll-ups in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, parsnip, celery and cooked bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soup, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 6-8 hours. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 288 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1030mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 23, 2017
Very similar to rouladen we enjoyed in Germany. I liked it better there, however, because it was cooked in a brown gravy, and without the extra veggies in the sauce. And skip the mashed potatoes: this dish needs spaetzle, which are hearty German noodles that cling to the sauce. Yum!
Aug 11, 2017
I made this dish and it was fantastic. The only change I made was I used Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom soup because it has no MSG (which I am allergic to) and also has low sodium. Campbell's Golden Mushroom has MSG in it and I can not use it. Other than that change - I followed the recipe except that like the other reviewer, I cut the carrots and pickle to the size of the meat so none would be sticking out when I rolled it up. My Opapa (German for Grandfather and he was German) would have loved this meal too.
Sep 6, 2014
This totally surprised me with fabulous taste. I did not add parsnips this time and instead added onion slices. Next time I would love to try the parsnips. The only other change I made was cutting the carrots and pickles to match the size of beef slices instead of poking out like the picture here, adding about 1/3 C water and cooking for 3 hrs on simmer instead of 6. At 3 hrs, the beef was perfectly cooked. I loved the taste that golden mushroom soup gave this dish. So much better than all other rouladen recipes I've tried in last 45 years. Good job Grandma Schwartz!