Grandma Nardi’s Italian Easter Bread
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 3 large eggs
- Assorted food coloring
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Place three eggs in a single layer in a small saucepan; add enough cold water to cover by 1 in. Cover and quickly bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Rinse eggs in cold water and place in ice water until completely cooled. Drain; dye hard-boiled eggs with food coloring, following package directions. Let stand until completely dry.
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven bread ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons additional milk or flour if needed.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down dough; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 15-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Shape into a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Lightly coat dyed eggs with oil; arrange on braid, tucking them carefully between ropes. For egg wash, whisk egg with water. Brush over dough; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 157 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 4, 2018
Mar 18, 2018
Nice recipe! My maiden name was Nardi-from Upper Michigan. Wonder if we are related? Had to try the recipe when I saw the name! (My mom is also "Grandma Nardi.) Thanks for submitting such a tasty recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.