Air-Fryer Papas Rellenas
A Cuban classic, these satisfying, crispy-coated potato balls are filled with a savory ground beef mixture known as picadillo. We love this papas rellenas recipe! —Marina Castle Kelley, Canyon Country, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 15 min./batch
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives with pimientos
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cooking spray
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, olives, raisins, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and paprika; heat through.
- Drain potatoes; mash with garlic powder and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Shape 2 tablespoons potatoes into a patty; place a heaping tablespoon of filling in the center. Shape potatoes around filling, forming a ball. Repeat.
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip potato balls in eggs, then roll in bread crumbs. Preheat air fryer to 400°. In batches, place in single layer on greased tray in air-fryer basket; spritz with cooking spray. Cook until golden brown, 14-16 minutes.
Test Kitchen tip