Nectarine Ice Cream
When nectarines are in season at their sweet, juicy peak, we treat ourselves to this wonderful homemade ice cream. The fresh-fruit flavor and hint of almond make it very special. Peaches are a good substitute in this recipe.—Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Process: 20 min. + freezing
Makesabout 1 quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups mashed fresh nectarines (about 6 medium)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine nectarines and lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, cream, extracts and salt; stir in nectarine mixture.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.