Miso Soup with Tofu and Enoki
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) fresh enoki mushrooms or 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Thinly sliced green onions
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic and ginger in oil until tender. Add the water and miso paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add tofu; heat through. Ladle into bowls; garnish with green onions.
Editor's NoteLook for miso paste in natural food or Asian markets.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 147 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
May 20, 2017
One should never bring miso to a boil especially if it is the live enzyme type. It will kill all the beneficial properties. Otherwise, this is one of my favorite dishes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.