Mint Chip Freeze
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makes2 desserts (18 servings each)
- 2 packages (15-1/2 ounces each) Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Shaved chocolate
- In a large bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter. Press into two 13x9-in. dishes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Spread ice cream over each crust. Spoon cooled chocolate sauce over top; evenly spread to cover. Freeze until firm. Spread with whipped topping. Desserts may be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish with shaved chocolate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 395 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 12, 2018
This is our family favorite with each child requesting it for their birthday cake.
Nov 20, 2010
This is a family celebration favorite. Everyone looks forward to it. It is always the requested(and expected) dessert. It is quick and easy to prepare.
Apr 5, 2010
I made this recipe for an Easter potluck and although it was good, I had to use store bought chocolate sauce because the sauce made with the recipe directions did not thicken up even though I double checked the ingredients, so I didn't use it. What did I do wrong?? It tasted fine and was a big hit, but was messy when it thawed. And ice cream cartons are smaller now but that didn't seem to alter the recipe at all. I love mint ice cream so the flavor was great!
Dec 23, 2009
This was absolutely delicious! Quick and easy to make.
Jul 29, 2009
Our family really loves this frozen treat. I made it for a Birthday celebration and it was a hit. My girls still talk about it. My girls really enjoy looking through the Taste of Home cook books for fun. Whenever they come across this recipe they talk about the good memories, the fantastic taste and how they want it again.