Peppermint Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 to 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups crushed peppermint candy
- In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half cream to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the peppermint candy. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 417 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 210mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2018
YUMMY!!! We made this during the Holidays and it was excellent. The only addition was 1/4 tsp. of Peppermint extract. I will make again next year.
Jan 13, 2013
Very creamy and delicious!!!
Jan 24, 2011
This is absolutely wonderful. Creamy, smooth and stays soft enough to easily scoop out - but I just ate it out of the freezer bowl. Plan on making another batch tonight!!!!!