Peppermint Stick Dessert
With every spoonful of this cool and creamy concoction, my family goes back in time to when our Grandma Dagmar made it each Christmas. The minty, refreshing flavor can't be topped. —Dianne Oertel, Racine, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 ounces peppermint candy, crushed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 27 chocolate wafers
- In a small saucepan, combine crushed candy and half-and-half cream. Cook over low heat until candy is melted, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into hot peppermint mixture until dissolved. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until mixture begins to set. Fold in whipped cream.
- Crush three chocolate wafers; set aside for garnish. Line a 1-1/2-qt. serving bowl with 12 wafers. Top with half of the peppermint mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with chocolate crumbs. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 250 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Peppermint Stick Dessert in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.