Peppermint Hard Candy
This easy-to-make clear hard candy has a mint flavor from the combination of peppermint and vanilla extracts. Plus, the eye-catching sweets won't stick to your teeth. &Mdash; Lois Ostenson, Aneta, North Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 1-1/4 pounds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals. Uncover; cook over medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extracts and food coloring. Pour into prepared pan. Cool; break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 261 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Peppermint Hard Candy in Country Woman Christmas 2001