Old Fashioned Hard Candy
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring or color of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon watermelon flavoring or flavoring of your choice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- Butter two 15x10x1-in. pans; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in flavoring. Immediately pour into prepared pans; cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar; break into pieces. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 283 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2010
I made this as Christmas gifts, and it was well recieved by all. Very easy to make, just takes a little time to boil off the water. I substituted peppermint extract for the watermelon flavor.
Oct 27, 2009
made this with a cherry flavoring instead of watermelon-just as good-everyone loved it