Mini Chocolate Cakes with Caramelized Bananas
This was one of my first times spreading my wings with a recipe and trying to go a bit fancy. This is a breeze to make and a delight to serve. The recipe may look intimidating but after you try it once, you'll have it down pat. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Baking cocoa
- CARAMELIZED BANANAS:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium bananas, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup white wine or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool. Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Sift in flour; mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate mixture.
- Spoon batter into eight buttered 4-oz. ramekins dusted with cocoa. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Run a small knife around sides of ramekins. Invert onto cooling rack; let stand 5 minutes. Remove ramekins; place cakes on individual plates.
- For bananas, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss banana slices with sugar until well coated; arrange in a single layer in skillet. Do not stir bananas until bottoms are golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown, 4-5 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Place bananas on plates with cakes.
- For sauce, heat wine and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Whisk in chocolate. Pour over cakes.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 458 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as MINI CHOCOLATE CAKES WITH BANANAS IN WINE SAUCE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.