Mile High Shredded Beef
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 15 Hoagie Buns
- Place the roast in a Dutch oven; add broth, onion and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast and cool slightly; shred meat with two forks. Strain vegetables and set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid and reserve 1-1/2 cups. Return the meat, vegetables and reserved cooking liquid to the pan.
- Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf, garlic powder, paprika and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Serve beef on buns.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 7, 2018
Been making this for years, since it was first published in TOH years back. EVERYONE loves this! I leave out the celery, since my husband hates the stuff, half the salt (or leave it out entirely) and up the hot sauce. Have always done the meat in the crock pot, made the sauce on the stove top and added the shredded meat to it. Makes quite a bit, so we always have some to freeze for a busy night!
Aug 25, 2016
I dont know what happened and I am suprised nobody has had issues with only using 1 can of beef broth...and then cooking it for 3 hours. It isnt enough juice. It all dried out. I started smelling burning from my kitchen and bottom of roast was all burnt and there was zero liquid. How much beef broth did you guys add because 1 didnt even cover the roast.
Jun 19, 2014
Has anyone tried making this in a slow cooker?
Apr 7, 2014
Excellent recipe! I followed it exactly as it said and it tasted wonderful. Even my picky husband who makes his own BBQ sauce loved it and said it was the best sandwich he's ever had. Thank you!
Dec 20, 2013
First time trying this...I was missing the paprika and hot sauce for starters. I added cilantro to it and some peppercorns while it cooked. The flavor is unbelievable and the meat is melt in your mouth tender. I will use this recipe again.
Jul 3, 2013
There were no leftovers!!!!!! Everyone loved them!!! I did not change anything.
Jun 17, 2012
I haven't found anyone who doesn't like this recipe. I make it a 2 day meal. I cook the meat and refrigerate overnight. Then I skim the fat - shred the beef and cook the sauce. Add sauce and its ready. Simple for company and a great switch from pulled pork. Sometimes I serve both.
May 20, 2012
Very good. Made it once so far, and plan to make it again this week. I found the vegetables to smell bad, so I discarded them. (It might have been the onion I had).
Apr 1, 2012
My favorite shredded beef recipe. I have made this for many gatherings and everyone loves it.
Aug 16, 2011
Very easy to make and tasty!