The meatballs are made extra fast in the microwave for the perfect weeknight stew. The herbs are so flavorful and will make the stew so delicious.—Clara Goddard, Orillia, Ontario
Recommended: 70 Budget-Friendly Dinners That Are Big on Taste
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained and quartered
- 1-1/4 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1-1/4 cups frozen peas
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, crumbs, onion and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place in a microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Turn meatballs and microwave 3-4 minutes longer; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the next seven ingredients; spoon over meatballs. Cover and cook at 50% power for 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Combine the cornstarch, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth; gradually stir into the stew. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Microwave Meatball Stew in Country Woman January/February 1995, p35