Maple Pulled Pork Buns
Maple syrup is my sweet secret to these irresistible rolls. Slow-cooking the flavor-packed pork couldn’t be easier, and they’re quick to roll up. We love them for parties because they serve a packed house. —Rashanda Cobbins, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 5-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 loaves (1 pound each ) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese
- Chopped green onions and crushed red pepper flakes
- Season pork with mustard, salt, pepper and ginger; place in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and garlic; pour in 1/2 cup maple syrup, water and cider vinegar. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 5-7 hours. Shred meat with two forks; discard cooking liquid and vegetables.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one loaf of dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Combine barbecue sauce with remaining syrup; brush 1/4 cup sauce mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges of dough. Top with half of pork. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into eight slices. Place in a 9-in. pie plate, cut side down. Repeat with remaining dough and additional pie plate. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Reserve remaining sauce mixture. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted, 5-10 minutes longer. Serve with reserved sauce mixture; sprinkle with green onions and red pepper flakes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 358 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Shredded Pork Sandwiches in Tastes Like Fall 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.