- 2 cups stout beer
- 1-3/4 cups butter, cubed
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- Chopped malted milk balls, optional
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine beer, butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter and chocolate are melted. Remove from heat; whisk in milk powder and cocoa. Transfer to a large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add sour cream and eggs to chocolate mixture; beat until well blended. Combine sugar, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into chocolate mixture until blended. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 32-36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring sugar and liqueur to a gentle boil over medium heat; cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes longer or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl with a whisk attachment, cream butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar mixture. Add milk powder; beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. If necessary, refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. If desired, top with malted milk balls. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forMalted Chocolate & Stout Layer Cake
"I love it my grown nephew and niece and my siblings they love it . From Anne Kimble"
"this is a bit labor intense but worth every minute of it. Moist and delicious. It is without a doubt worth every calorie"
"LOL. No rating. Just had to laugh when I saw the calories per serving. Have never seen anything like it before. But it sounds yummy!"