Makeover Chicken Potpies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup plus 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk and oil; toss with a fork. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter. Add the carrots, celery and onion; saute until crisp-tender. In a small bowl, combine remaining flour with the broth and milk until smooth. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, peas and pepper. Transfer to four 16-oz. ramekins; set aside.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit ramekins. Place dough over chicken mixture; trim and seal edges. Cut out a decorative center or cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg white.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 443 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 4, 2016
Made this tonight, even my fussy husband likesd it. Only change was to add chopped potatoes. A keeper.
Dec 10, 2015
Delicious and the perfect recipe for two: we ate two and froze two. I added broccoli and mushrooms; and used Quorn veggie diced chicken with Better Than Bouillon chicken no chicken bouillon.
Feb 9, 2014
Really yummy and pretty easy! I halved the recipe because there's only two of us plus a two year old, and there was enough to make two ramekins plus a small one for my son. I also added 1tsp. poultry seasoning for a little extra flavor. This sure beats store bought pies!
Dec 1, 2013
Made this last night, but topped with mashed potatoes leftover from Thanksgiving. Delicious! Will make more tonight with turkey instead & freeze.
Nov 9, 2013
We thought these were delicious. We cheated and used frozen pie crust.
Apr 18, 2013
Liked the basic recipe but will add some seasonings next time. I added more thickening to make filling creamier. Dough recipe was great! I doubled it for two top and bottom crusts. Looked impressive made in individual ramikins.
Mar 6, 2013
I don't like it. Filling isn't thick enough, and there isn't enough dough for pot pie pans (vs ramekins). Taste is mediocre at best. Will go with another recipe next time.
Jan 20, 2013
Absolutely wonderful!!! I made this today with temps in the mid 30s and wind gusts up 40 mph. It was a great day after all, after making this dish. Great dish for a day like today. I like not adding potatoes since the crust provides just the right amount of starch. Would recommend trying this. Thanks, John for sharing!
Jan 13, 2013
Liked this recipe. Made two, froze one. Will make again.
Jan 6, 2013
Lik the reviews said. This is a keeper. It is very good. My husband really liked it and said to make again. Try it.