Maine Blueberry Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 288 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 13, 2015
It was easy to assemble and looked beautiful. I must have done something wrong because it is soooo dry. It looks dry. :(
Jan 26, 2012
I absolutely LOVED this cake! Moist, incredibly good and very delicious, every mouthful was a delight and very much enjoyed!I didn't use the 1 tablespoon of sugar to sprinkle on the top of the cake since I found it to be sweet enough without it and used regular sized blueberries instead of the smaller ones; it turned out deliciously well!I will definitely be making this one again!
Aug 25, 2010
excellent recipe very moist didnt last long at my house ! :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.