Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, salt and egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Cut into 3x1-in. rectangles. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 400°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine glaze ingredients. Dip tops in glaze while warm.
Feb 24, 2018
These were awesome! So easy and so good. Use a thermometer to keep the right temperature. I fried mine at 375? and they were perfect. I filled them with a custard based mock whipped cream filling. Yummy!
Nov 1, 2014
The oil temp. that the recipe calls for is way too hot. The first batch got over-cooked in a very short time. I turned it down to 375 and it was better. I don't know if I did something wrong but mine came out greasy. They were OK tasting the first day but by the next day they were gross tasting and I threw them away. I stored them in the fridge overnight and warmed them in the microwave then frosted them. The frosting is wonderful tasting though. I will try a different doughnut recipe and use this frosting recipe.
Mar 1, 2014
Feb 1, 2010
I also made jelly filled by placing one circle over a circle with filling in the center. Absolutely fantastic the orginial way and making filled.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.