I recommend serving these cookies with tea. They're not too sweet and the lemon and rosemary pair well with a cup of Earl Grey tea.—Sarah Reynolds, Victoria, British Columbia
Featured In: 16 Christmas Tree-Shaped Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarse sugar, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, rosemary, lemon peel and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out 30 trees, using a floured 3-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter; cut out 30 stars, using a floured 1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place trees 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place stars 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on pan. Attach stars to trees with frosting. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon-Rosemary Cutout Trees in Country Woman 2013