- 3 medium lemons
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 4 cups water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 4 cups sugar
- Peel rind from lemons and grapefruit; cut into thin strips, about 1 in. long. Set aside fruit.
- In a Dutch oven, combine water and citrus peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until peel is softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Trim white pith from reserved lemons and grapefruit; discard pith. Cut lemons and grapefruit into segments, discarding membranes and seeds. Chop pulp, reserving juices; stir into reserved peel mixture.
- Add pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into six hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 half-pints.
Reviews forLemon Marmalade
"something is missing with this recipe, just made yesterday, it is nothing but watery........ would not gel, maybe should have drained the water????? lot of work for nothing!"
"How long will it take to firm up once you remove it from the simmering water?"
"Mine is not even close to being firm, and I had enough for 8 jars not 6.Haven't made anything like this for many years but very disappointed to spend that much time and have it not turn out."