- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Reviews forLemon-Butter Spritz Cookies
"I made these today with 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel, but otherwise followed the recipe. They did work quite well in my cookie press, easily making 5 sheets of cookies. However, I found the cookies to have very little lemon flavor, they tasted too floury. My son doesn't mind, but I'll definitely be adding more lemon juice or extract next time around. I'll top them with a lemon frosting or glaze to correct this batch."
"Followed recipe exactly but added more lemon as a review suggested. For me, I still think they were bland and too much flour taste...about 1 1/2 cups too much flour based on other recipes I've made which made them not taste so good. Not enough butter or lemon flavor either. Would not make again."
"This is question not a review. Could anyone tell me what brand and where to purchase a cookie press that arthritis friendly (and affordable?) Thank you. ((This recipe is identical to mine from years ago except that mine uses cream cheese for butter)."
"These had fabulous flavor. Based on the reviews, I simply added just a touch more lemon juice, maybe 1 squeeze, and they had just the right amount of lemon flavor. Plus, I reduce the amount of sugar in everything- try it, you won't miss it!"
"Nice, light lemon flavor. Halved recipe and used 1 1/2 T of lemon extract instead of peel. I also topped with a lemon glaze. Light and tangy-sweet."
"I would have liked more lemon flavor. I was actually surprised by the very little lemon flavor since we grated an entire lemon peel into this recipe. However, I did as one suggested and added the rest of the lemon juice in a second batch and that helped, but still would have liked a little more lemon flavor."