Lemon Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
I won a bake-off contest at Purdue University with this recipe for lemon bars with cream cheese frosting. I think you’ll love the dreamy topping. —Michael Hunter, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in lemon zest.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until center is set and edges are golden brown. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest. Frost bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 243 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.