Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Black paste food coloring
- 3 teaspoons minced chives
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 36 butter-flavored crackers
- 18 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 18 large pitted ripe olives
- 72 fresh chive pieces (about 1-1/2 inches long)
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Remove 2 tablespoons to a small bowl and tint black. Place tinted cream cheese mixture in a small plastic bag; set aside.
- Add the chives, garlic salt and parsley to the remaining cream cheese mixture. Spread over crackers. Arrange two tomato quarters on each for the ladybug wings.
- For heads, halve the olives widthwise; place one half on each cracker. Insert two chives into olives for antennae. Use tinted cream cheese mixture to pipe spots onto wings.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 44 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Mar 24, 2015
My Pastor's wife's name is June, the pastor calls her his June bug, she loves lady bugs so for her birthday I'm making these adorable little lady bugs as a gift for her. I think they will be a big hit, and she'll love them.
Jan 11, 2015
I can't wait to try this!
Jul 24, 2014
Made these x 2 recently, BIG hit! Helpful hints: black dots: I used a little tube black cake decorating gel for the dots; put 3 little dots on top of ROOM TEMP tomatoes. I have assembled these with crackers about 1.5 hrs ahead of time, refrigerate them & cracker was still crisp. I also used sliced cucumber, placing slices on paper towel to absorb some moisture while assembling. Filling: added a little more garlic salt & chives to zip it up. Enjoy!
Apr 17, 2014
Re the soggy cracker issue: I am going to try a basil leaf or sliver of lettuce next time. The basil should add a nice flavor. Maybe just a small dot of cream cheese mix to hold it in place and then assemble as per recipe.
Dec 5, 2013
Really good....I just substituted the black paste dots with chocolate syrup.....tasted amazing!
May 20, 2013
Very good! Substituted flower shaped cucumber slices for the crackers. Perfect compliment to my garden themed Tea Party.
Apr 23, 2013
I did not make these as ladybugs. I just wanted to serve as appetizers. The spread was delicious and then I just served the tomatoes and black olives and chives separately so that you could build your own. Very tasty. If I ever need the cuteness factor I will assemble as ladybugs.
Jan 27, 2013
As I read everyone's notes about this, I see that nobody has tried something other than crackers. I was thinking perhaps give a try with bagel chips since they are a bit harder and are toasted it may stop them from getting soggy like the crackers, and the trade off is not too bad from crackers to the chips for the calories exchanged, if that is a concern. After all, a bagel chip runs about 8 calories and a Ritz cracker runs 16 calories.
Jul 5, 2012
i couldn't stop smiling while making these! i sliced the olives in half just because. to make them again i'd use wheat grass which i usually have on hand anyway. it's thinner and sturdier. as for the comments about the cream cheese making the crackers soggy. i'd make the mixture the night before and keep refrigerated :-)
May 7, 2012
Cheese makes a better bed for the Lady Bug. There needs to be a way to copy a recipe and leave the ads off. Wast of ink!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.