Lady Bug Chocolate Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- Chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 can (16 ounces) dark chocolate fudge frosting
- Red jimmies
- Black jelly beans, shoestring licorice and nonpareils; white hard candies
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and coffee, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For lady bug wings, microwave chocolate wafers for a few seconds to slightly soften. Use a serrated knife to cut each in half. Cut off the tips to allow room for the lady bug face; save remaining wafer pieces to prop up wings. Frost both wings, and dip in red jimmies. Cut black jelly beans in half; add as spots to the wings. Set aside.
- For antennae, cut licorice into 1-in. pieces. Dip one end into frosting and roll in black nonpareils; set aside to dry.
- To assemble cupcake, frost with chocolate icing. Position decorated wings on cupcakes; if desired, add reserved wafer piece under wing tip to prop up. Add antennae and white hard candy eyes. Pipe a small frosting dot for eyeballs. Add a large curved red jimmie and two small ones for the mouth.
Sep 2, 2013
I may do this one but never with the coffee. I hate the smell let alone the taste of the stuff and it ruins anything. I might use the wings and face on a chocolate cupcake but no coffee.
Aug 13, 2013
I see the directions for decorating the face but what exactly do you use for the face. I don't see that mentioned at all.
Aug 12, 2013
Annette51 - The 'face' is in the fifth directions. Above 'YIELD:"' 14 cupcakes!!!
Aug 12, 2013
Sorry can't type today - should read what do you use for the ladybug's face.
Aug 12, 2013
I may have missed it - but what do you use for the ladybug fact?
Mar 26, 2013
My kids loved it my friend s could not believe how they look and tastes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.