These bright, sweet "ladybugs" brought me good luck when it came to pleasing guests. I frosted chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies to make the whimsical treats, and they turned out so cute I used them as part of my centerpiece. -Kendra Barclay, De Kalb, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- Red liquid or paste food coloring
- 1 package (12 ounces) chocolate and marshmallow cookies
- 3 strips black shoestring licorice, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 large black gumdrops
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt frosting and chips at 70% power; stir until smooth. Stir in food coloring. Spread over the rounded tops of cookies; place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
- For head, insert two pieces of licorice into gumdrops for antennae. With a toothpick, attach a gumdrop onto the side of each cookie.
- Use a toothpick or knife to draw a line from the head down the center of each cookie. For legs, insert six pieces of licorice into frosting of each ladybug. Chop remaining licorice into small pieces; place on top for spots.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 277 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Ladybug Cookies in Taste of Home June/July 1998