Kahlua Dream Bars
I always double this recipe so everyone gets a piece. For a glaze with deeper flavor, use 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate and 2 ounces semisweet.—Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in cocoa until blended. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads 160°, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Press into a greased 13x9-in. pan.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine butter and Kahlua. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Spread over crust. Refrigerate until set.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread over filling. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars.
Originally published as KHALUA DREAMS in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.