Kahlua Dream Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in cocoa until blended. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads 160°, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Press into a greased 13x9-in. pan.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine butter and Kahlua. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Spread over crust. Refrigerate until set.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread over filling. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars.
Aug 27, 2019
We loved this! Very rich so cut into small squares, but oh so good. My nephew requested it for his birthday "cake" next month too!
Jan 24, 2018
Found the bottom layer to be very dry and tasteless. Also found that 1/3 Kahlua was way too much for 3 cups of icing sugar.