- 1/3 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves, warmed
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, orange juice and almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in 3 cups of coconut. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 2-in. balls; roll in remaining coconut. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Fill each cookie with preserves. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forJeweled Coconut Drops
"The combination of the orange juice, almond flavoring with the coconut topped with jam is unbelievable. I will make these again and again!!!"
"The flavors are delicious! However, I made 2 inch balls the first batch and it only made 14 cookies and took almost 15 minutes to bake. We tried again and rolled them as 1 inch cookies and were able to get more out of the batch. These we baked for about 10 minutes. We topped them with raspberry jam and half with Nutella."
"Everyone LOVES when I make these cookies. Simple and Delicious!"
"I made these for a cookie exchange without having ever made them. They were delicious and I just printed out a recipe to give to someone from the exchange that thought they were delicious."
"I found this recipe several years ago in my Taste of Home magazine, and have made it every Christmas season since. I don't think any recipe I have has gotten as many compliments as this one did. People are always asking me for the recipe. The cookies are incredibly delicious."