- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 8 ounces ziti or small tube pasta
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, basil and 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the pasta, a third of the meat sauce and half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and oregano.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forItalian Baked Ziti
"I simmered the sauce for 20 minutes just because it was easier to blend all ingredients (and this is how I've made my lasagna sauce for years). I doubled the recipe, used a 4 quart Corning casserole pan and did have some leftover sauce. I just added the sauce to the leftover pasta. My family liked this very much."
"I have made this several times and I always enjoy it!"
"This is a very good ziti. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time. 3 hours for the sauce plus an hour for baking."
"I made this recipe and followed directions exactly. Ended up with not much sauce or cheese mixture. I will have to double it next time."
"My favorite pasta dish I love it!!"
"This is great. Everyone that I have served it to they really like it. It will be made again and again.For snaller entre use a 8X8 baking dish and freeze one ofr later."