Hungarian Treasure (Szekely Gulyas)
This combination of pork, sauerkraut, sour cream and paprika is heavenly served on buttery egg noodles with or without poppy seeds. Here's to great comfort food. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 packages (1 pound each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Hot cooked buttered egg noodles
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat. Transfer meat to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and paprika; cook 1 minute longer. Pour over meat. Add
- sauerkraut and water.
- Cook, covered, on low until pork is tender, 3-4 hours. Stir in sour cream; sprinkle with poppy seeds. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 369 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1181mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Hungarian Treasure ( Szekely Gulyas ) in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.