- 2 cups ground walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a 15x12-in. piece of waxed paper; brush with butter. Place a second phyllo sheet on top, brushing it with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 1/4 cup walnut mixture. Using waxed paper, roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side, removing paper as you roll. Slice roll into four smaller rolls; transfer rolls to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough. Bake until light brown, 14-16 minutes. Cool dish on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine all syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Drizzle cinnamon rolls with syrup; sprinkle with remaining walnut mixture. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews forHoney Cinnamon Rollups
"Just made these yesterday. They came out fantastic! ... and i am definitely not a skilled baker. Couldn't find ground walnuts so I bought diced and rolled them with my rolling pin a bit. They could have been rolled a little tighter but like I said I'm no pro and I didnt have the wax paper. Ran out of the nut/cinnamon/sugar mixture so there was none to sprinkle on top but no one was the wiser. The syrup didnt get thick like I was expecting, even after cooking it a bit longer than called for but worked just fine. I had to keep my kids and husband from eating them before I could get the syrup on them. Husband said "these taste like baklava" and I read him the description lol! Thanks TOH!"
"To Stu. I'm not a math major but I figured it was right on the nuts. You have 12 sheets, matched into 2s. Now that is six. Each sheet gets 1/4 cup. That's 6/4 or 1 1/2 cups. Giving you the rest to sprinkle. Could be wrong but figured it a couple times and was right on both."
"Looks good, but I'm questioning the ingredient list for ground walnuts. It states 2 cups, but the directions state 1/4 cup ground walnuts for each of the 12 rollups. That's 3 cups in total, plus the extra for sprinkling. So, I'm wondering which is correct… certainly 1/4 seems like a lot & may be excessive. Further that would mean somewhere around 5-6 cups of whole walnuts ground to fine pieces… that's a lot of $$$ for the 48 little bite-sized pieces the recipe yields. May be some reads the comments & can advise."
"Lovely recipe will try to get it made at home-love spices like cardamom etc-loved drinking flavoured milk sometimes."