Homemade Lemon Chiffon Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 7-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Run a knife around side and center tube of cake pan. Remove cake to a serving plate; frost. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 526 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 407mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 13, 2014
This cake was really good!!!! I put raspberries on top and it tasted amazing!!!!! Really glad I tried it!!!! :) Love your cake!!!!!!
Mar 21, 2010
This is for mcinque -- I don't do much baking, but I think that 1 cup of flour might be enough. This goes in a 7" tube pan. The other recipes that call for 2 cups of flour go in a 10" tube pan. Also this recipe only has 3 eggs separated compared to the other recipe(s) that call for 7 eggs separated. Hope this is helpful.
Mar 19, 2010
I would like to make this recipe because I love all things lemon. However, I am concerned that there is only one cup of flour. Can that be correct?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.