Homemade Lemon Chiffon Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 7-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and lemon juice until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Run a knife around side and center tube of cake pan. Remove cake to a serving plate; frost. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 526 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 407mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 13, 2014
This cake was really good!!!! I put raspberries on top and it tasted amazing!!!!! Really glad I tried it!!!! :) Love your cake!!!!!!
Mar 21, 2010
This is for mcinque -- I don't do much baking, but I think that 1 cup of flour might be enough. This goes in a 7" tube pan. The other recipes that call for 2 cups of flour go in a 10" tube pan. Also this recipe only has 3 eggs separated compared to the other recipe(s) that call for 7 eggs separated. Hope this is helpful.
Mar 19, 2010
I would like to make this recipe because I love all things lemon. However, I am concerned that there is only one cup of flour. Can that be correct?