- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the pasta and tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Italian Vegetable Soup
"Great recipe and easy too. I double this recipe to make the family happy. It freezes well if you have any left."
"Great recipe to vary depending what veggies you have on hand or enjoy"
"very good recipe will make again"
"My family loved this soup! I did make a couple of changes though. Instead of using 1 potato, I used 3 medium potatoes. I also left out the peas. I also added 2 cups of cubed cooked chicken. I substituted the diced tomatoes for 1/2 cup of tomato juice. To compensate for the extra meat added, I added enough hot water to make it a soup consistency again. It was delicious- a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese really completed it!"
"I used alphabets instead of shell pasta because that is all I had. GREAT!"