Homemade Frozen Custard
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in the sugar, cornstarch and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in condensed milk and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Mar 13, 2015
I really appreciate that this recipe takes whole eggs, not just yolks. It tastes very good, and it's very creamy, but after the creaminess there's a slight dryness or chalkiness in the background. Probably not everyone would notice, but to me it just isn't quite right.
Feb 1, 2013
Was introduced to frozen custard when pregnant and working in wisconsin every we went they had this and cheese curds had not heard of them put loved it cant get here in ohio.
Oct 19, 2012
Creamy and delicious. I made a few mistakes. I didn't have the ice bath ready beforehand. But I would make it again. It's not too sweet. It's great.
Oct 14, 2012
This looks more like a standard custard based ice cream recipe, rather than a frozen custard recipe. Frozen custard must contain more than 10% butterfat and more than 1.5% egg. This cannot be achieved with whole milk with only 3% butterfat content without adding cream. Further, frozen custard is not made in an ice cream churn as this would introduce too much air into the mix. Frozen custard should have a smoother texture than ice cream.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.