- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour and poultry seasoning until blended; gradually whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken and vegetables.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; place pastry sheet over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Chicken Potpie
"I've made a similar and yet more simple and tasty chicken pot pie for years now. I add some Cajun seasoning to the mixed vegetables, the meat is smoked chicken or turkey left over and diced. I add the diced meat to the bottom pie crust them mix the mixed vegetables in with the meat and a dusting of Cajun seasoning. I add Cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of mushroom soup and mix that in to fill the bottom crust. I then add a top crust and baste it with egg whites to brown well and for the two crusts to stick together. I add 5 little cuts in the top crust for steam to escape. bake"
"easy to put together and good tasting. I did not have poultry seasoning, so used 1/2 t. Sage, 1/4 t. Rosemary and 1/4 t. Thyme."
"Very tasty. Was a hit"
"The poultry seasoning definitely over powered it. I would go with 1/2 a tsp. I lowered the temp to 425 for 30min and it was cooked just right. I also used a bottom crust."
"My family enjoyed this, but I think it was missing something....some extra seasoning maybe. I didn't do quite a full teaspoon of poultry seasoning, but I think it needed something different as well. But it is a great easy, quick chicken pot pie. I covered the crust after the first 10 minutes so it wouldn't burn."
"This recipe got a great approval from my husband! For him, I couldn't add the onion. I used olive oil and skim milk and it tasted wonderful. Filled with chicken and vegetables, this recipe is a keeper!"
"Made this recently when grandchildren were here and everyone loved it! I made my own pastry and seasoned to our taste. Great recipe."
"I recently made this dish for my family from one of your recent one dish meals cookbook i received. It had fewer steps and everyone loved it."