Homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, cream, sugars and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- In a small skillet, saute pecans in butter, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Stir in toasted pecans. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 207 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 9, 2016
Butter Pecan is my husband's favorite ice cream so we were thrilled to find this recipe. I used 2% milk instead of whole and it was still perfectly creamy. We found it too sweet and he thought it had a little bit too much nuts, so next time I will reduce those. I also thought that the vanilla tasted too strong so I may cut that or add it during cooking to reduce the alcohol taste in it. We will DEFINATELY use this recipe again though!
Apr 30, 2014
My family loved this ice cream! It was creamy and delicious!I cut the sugar in half and then used a half cup of maple syrup in place of the brown sugar.Will be making this again.
Apr 15, 2014
This was super easy to make and I loved the rich, buttery taste of the ice cream paired with the crunch of the pecans. This one is definitely a keeper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.